Thursday, August 12, 2010

Yummy Recipes - Kale Chips

If you liked my roasted broccoli recipe (and wow, a lot of you did!), then you'll love these kale chips. This recipe comes from my sister-in-law, Tina. Her three boys beg for these. Like potato chips, you can't stop at just one. These are a low-calorie, nutritious snack. They are great for parties, and always spark conversation. Since we're currently not eating dairy, kale is a great source of calcium.

Kale Chips

1 bunch of organic kale (organic kale is only $.20 more where I shop)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt

Preheat oven to 350*. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale leaves with a salad spinner or paper towels. Drizzle kale leaves with the olive oil (I like to put the leaves in a big bowl, and use my hands to make sure that the oil has coated every piece. 1 Tbsp. will not seem like enough, but it goes a long way. If you use too much, the chips will be mushy and not crispy.)

Spread kale onto cookie sheets in a single layer, making sure not to overlap (this is key), and sprinkle with the sea salt. Depending on the size of the bunch, I often have to bake them in two batches. (I used two cookie sheets for this first batch and one cookie sheet for the second batch.)

Bake until the edges are brown, but not burnt, 12-14 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy! (Notice how much they shrink up during cooking. This makes it very easy for two people to finish off an entire bunch of kale in one sitting. Now that's gulit-free snacking!)

Kent and Leyla betcha can't eat just one!

7 comments:

KrisKay said...

For real? I'll have to try it! I honestly don't think I've ever had kale before!? Hey that could be the name of our 4th kid... Kale. LOL. Well we're officially done so that won't happen, but Kale would fit right in!

Do you have any photos of your kale chips?

Kent and Jenna said...

It sure would, Kale's a great name! Never say never, ha! Doesn't Scott Lange have a son named Kale? I'm making some later today, so I'll be sure to take some pics for ya. I need to get better about taking pics while cooking.

KrisKay said...

Oh man, our house is full! But you're right... never say never!

Hmmm, not sure! I know that Chris has a Cade!? Now you got me wondering!

Looking forward to the pic!

BeBe Gear said...

OMG!!! LOVE this idea! I use kale ALL the time in my girls' eggs! In fact, Jacqueline prefers "green eggs" (which means with kale). I am DEFINITELY going to try this! Thanks Jenna!

Jessica said...

That's great and I would have never thought of doing this!! I'll have to try it...after I floss my teeth though! ;)

Jessica said...

yea, there is a Kale in the "l" family...he has read hair!

I don't even think I have heard of kale before!!

Jenn and Jason said...

Wow! I'm going to have to try this, too! I use kale in one of our casseroles for the babies, but I always have so much left over.