Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Yummy Recipes - Best Broccoli ... EVER

I handed hubby his dinner plate last week along with a disclaimer. I said, "I know the broccoli looks a little burnt, but trust me, it's really delicious." Luckily, hubby is an adventurous eater - there's not much he won't try. He took one bite, his eyes lit up, and he said, "WOW! This is the best broccoli ever." He then proceeded to finish his generous serving of broccoli before even moving on to his main meat course.

I started roasting vegetables about seven months ago when our beloved steamer broke. I used to steam veggies almost every night. I took this as a challenge to get more creative with preparing veggies and I was also being cheap and didn't want to buy a new steamer. So I turned to my favorite recipe blog, For the Love of Cooking, where Pam introduced me to veggie roasting. I roast almost all veggies now. I have adapted her roasted broccoli recipe (which was already delicious), and came up with this:

Roasted Broccoli

2 large bunches of broccoli
Olive oil
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Fresh garlic, minced
Lemon juice (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425*. Line a baking sheet with foil. IF you wash your broccoli first, make sure that you dry it thoroughly. Not everyone thinks it's necessary to wash produce or even meats before cooking in a high temperature oven. In theory, that kind of heat should kill any harmful bacteria. But if it makes you nervous, just dry it obsessively.

Cut the broccoli into florets and place in a single layer on the lined baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sorry, no exact measurements ... I just eyeball it. If I had to guesstimate, I'd say 4-5 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper. Make sure the broccoli is coated with oil, but not dripping. Now add about 5 minced garlic cloves evenly.

Roast in the oven for about 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and some of the tips are browned. When done, remove from oven and squeeze a little lemon juice on top, and sprinkle with some parmesan cheese. Sometimes I skip the lemon and cheese, because I'm so anxious to dig in, and it still tastes so yummy.

Broccoli can often get squishy when you cook it. Not this broccoli. It develops an amazing brown crust in some spots. The key is roasting at a high temperature until it caramelizes.

I find myself craving this during the day. I want to throw each little floret in my mouth like popcorn, and just snack on them. If my mom had prepared broccoli this way when we were growing up, I guarantee that there wouldn't have been a struggle at the dinner table. In fact, I would have begged for more!

Try it. You won't be disappointed.

6 comments:

KrisKay said...

OH my gosh! That sounds amazing! I'm gonna definitely try it. Sounds like a secret weapon for getting the kiddos to eat it for sure! THANKS!

Jessica said...

That really does sound yummy, even if it looks a little burnt! Might have to try this one!!

Jenn and Jason said...

Oh good, so glad you posted directions! I tried it on my own Sunday evening, but didn't think I let it cook long enough. I now see you have the oven at 425 degrees ... making it again right now. :)

Casey J said...

Hi Jenna! We made this last night and it WAS the best broccoli ever! Thanks so much for sharing! This will definitely be a weekly side dish from now on.

KrisKay said...

I finally made it last night.... all I can say is HEAVENLY!!! I love it! So... please share... what other veggies do you roast?! Same time, temp?? Spill it!
I'm in love!!!

Kent and Jenna said...

Nothing really beats the broccoli in my opinion, but roasted cauliflower is also delicious - same temp as broccoli, 30 minutes. One of my favorite recipes ever is on For the Love of Cooking's blog - just search "turkey gemelli." It calls for a bunch of roasted veggies and has good pics of the process. I have a recipe for kale chips from my sister-in-law that is wonderful. Will post that on my blog soon. So glad you like it!