Friday, August 13, 2010

Look, Mom - no cavities!

I feel the need to brag a little bit. I had my six-month dental cleaning yesterday and had no cavities. But what's really impressive is that I've NEVER had a cavity. Not one. No fillings either.
Which means that if I can make it to my next cleaning in six months cavity-free, I can proudly claim to have no cavities at age thirty, ahem, twenty-nine. I consider that a pretty impressive feat! But do you think cavities are inevitable? I mean, how long can this continue, right?

From age seven to sixteen, I had some kind of metal in my mouth at all times. My teeth were a real train wreck and needed lots of help. I had expanders, retainers (front and bottom), lip bumpers, head gears (oh so attractive) and braces. I still have a permanent bottom retainer today. I guess I adopted good brushing habits from hearing my orthodontist preach to me enough times about how important it is.

However ... I don't floss. Ever. Gross, I know. There's just something about watching food particles fly out of my mouth and stick to my mirror that makes me cringe. I usually floss the morning of my dental cleaning (like I really expect that to fool them?), and when I'm in the chair I vow to the hygienist that I'll do a better job, but by the next day, I'm over it. The hygienists always comment on what beautiful teeth I have, but when they start the dreaded plaque scraping, my sensitive gums bleed and my whole mouth turns into a horror film.

But if I want to shoot for the Guinness World Record of Oldest Person to be Cavity-Free, then I really need to get serious about this whole flossing thing. Kent flosses almost every night and puts me to shame. Should I tape a reminder to my bathroom mirror? Put floss on my pillow every morning so that I can't go to sleep without flossing? How do you hold yourself accountable for things that you HATE doing?

5 comments:

KrisKay said...

That's great news!

I actually like flossing! I don't do it daily, but it feels so clean every time I do it.

I'm definitely NOT fond of the flying food particles though either, nasty!

Anonymous said...

Jenna! This is Alex, so nice to read you again! I had missed your posts, but I skipped a few days from coming by and now I see you have posted the past few days. I hope everything is going well with you! My life is a current heck because I left office life, hopefully forever, and I will begin teaching this year, 2nd grade bilingual. Glad youre back posting!

Jessica said...

Um...*looks around*...I never floss either. Seriously. And the worst part is that I'm not a regular dentist goer. I KNOW! Awful!

But, after reading this, I can promise you that I'm booking an appointment soon. This is ridiculous and I need to take better care of my teeth!

Jessica said...

lol, I hate the flinging food on the mirror too....hahaa....soooo gross. But I floss semi regularly, I like doing it though, it makes my mouth feel extra clean!

Unknown said...

Life is full of many challenges. Challenges that will make you or break you depending on how you handle it. Visit my site for more updates. God Bless to your site.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net