Monday, August 9, 2010

Caveman Style

For the last month, Kent and I have been eating "paleo" (abbreviation for Paleolithic diet) or "primal." Paleo is a diet which is inspired by the way in which our ancestors ate. More specifically, it is inspired by our ancestors from the Paleolithic age (approximately 2,600,000 to 10,000 years ago), a.k.a. cavemen.

This means that we have eliminated a lot of foods from our diet in order to increase our overall health. We no longer eat any dairy, grains, legumes, starches or added sugar, and obviously no processed foods of any kind. We DO eat lean meats (grass-fed beef, etc.), fish (preferably wild-caught), eggs (DHA Omega-3 = eggs from chickens that have been fed flax seed, marine algae or fish oil -- not grains), vegetables & fruits (organic when possible) and certain nuts.

This five minute video helps to explain it:


We've both lost some weight (hubby more than me - so typical of men, right?! Actually, he's been to the gym regularly, and I haven't, mainly due to being out of town a lot this past month, but still not a great excuse), and both of us have noticed that our skin appears clearer and healthier looking.

It's been a fun challenge for me to find appropriate paleo substitutes for recipes. Some of my favs are: almond meal (ground almonds) instead of flour, julienned zucchini instead of noodles and smashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.

So we're both enjoying living as cavemen. However, Kent has yet to club me over the head and drag me to his cave. I guess our "modern" wedding ceremony was good enough for him.


Recipes coming soon!

4 comments:

KrisKay said...

I did the paleo diet for a while a couple of years back. It's so hard to find good food in Seguin though, argh! Are you guys taking any supplements? Dr. Sebring in Wimberley turned me too it and is a firm believer. It's a great plan for sure! Good for you guys!

Kent and Jenna said...

I hear ya Kristin, thankfully our new HEB has some great stuff. I make a trip to Central Market every few weeks for things that I can't find here. And we have a small health food store in town that's OK. No supplements other than the regular ones we've taken for years - alfalfa, vitamin E & C, lecithin and our multi-vitamin - all Shaklee brand. Kent was most concerned about getting enough calcium, so we make sure to eat lots of kale. :)

Jessica said...

Wow! You guys are full of committment because there's no way on Earth that I could do that!

I mean, I'm sure if I made myself I could, but I'm just so busy that I can't imagine dedicating myself to something like that.

I'm glad that it makes you guys feel better...and look better (not that I thought that was possible!)...way to go!!

Jessica said...

very interesting!