Sunday, July 4, 2010

Five years ago today ...

... Kent proposed. We had gone tubing that day, and sun + water always wears me out, so I took a nap at his apartment afterwards. It was almost dark when Kent woke me up and asked if I still wanted to go to the fireworks show at the park. I did, so we headed out.

He brought a blanket and some sparklers, and we found a nice spot under a big tree. We lit some sparklers while we were waiting for the show to begin. Kent was having some trouble lighting them with the lighter that he'd brought. I told him not to worry about it, but he was persistent! The fireworks display started, and Kent was still messing with the sparklers. I told him that they weren't a big deal and to just enjoy the fireworks with me. He eventually did, but I could tell that he was still annoyed about the sparklers.

When the finale was over, I started packing up our stuff to go, and he said, "Do you want to stay and finish the sparklers?" I was thinking, 'Geez, what is UP with him and these sparklers?!?,' but I said, "OK, sure." We were successful in lighting the remaining sparklers. When my final sparkler burnt out, I turned to look at Kent who still had one burning. At the base of the sparkler, I noticed something shiny. It was a ring! He told me that this was the REAL finale, and asked me to be his wife.

The next year, some friends threw us an engagement party over the July 4th weekend, complete with a personal fireworks show on the lake.

And for our wedding send-off, all of our guests held extra-long sparklers while we ran under them to our getaway car. (Our photographer holds the rights to that photo, darn!)

So today is very special to us! Happy 4th everyone!

6 comments:

KrisKay said...

That is awesome! So memorable! So can't use your own photo?!? That's a bummer! I don't get it... maybe you'll be getting royalties for him/her using your gorgeous faces?!

Kent and Jenna said...

Aww, you're sweet! We have our photos in a nice album with hardboard collage-type pages, but not the digital images. We're actually waiting for a big stretched canvas of our sparkler send-off pic to come in. Then I guess I can take a picture of that and post it! Still ordering stuff 3.5 years after the wedding, ha!

KrisKay said...

I gotcha!! That will be awesome to get the large canvas in! That's great that you're still loving your wedding pics! Maybe you can add one at every anniversary! ;)

Jessica said...

Sounds like an awesome picture to match an awesome night! You should post about it when you get it in! ;)

Jenn and Jason said...

Yea ... love the photos! Congrats! The fireworks weren't great from my parents back yard ... Dad needs to trim some trees. The babies did stay up and watch, so that was fun! Great seeing you last week and thanks again for your help!

Jessica said...

That's awesome! Can't wait to see the picture of the picture!