Monday, May 18, 2009

Baking Adventures

So, I made my first trifle recently, and I was so proud of it that I took pictures. We received a trifle dish as a wedding gift 2 1/2 years ago, and I finally got around to using it. Almost too pretty to eat, right? Emphasis on ALMOST! We scarfed it down no problem. Light, fruity desserts like this are my favorite, especially in summer. I will definitely be making a lot more of these!

I am also very into decorating cupcakes right now. I have about four books on just cupcakes, and some of the designs are pretty outrageous and detailed. Here are some fun ones that I've done.
(The kernels are Jelly Bellies and the butter is a smushed lemon Starburst!)

I made these sunflowers for Mother's Day.

6 comments:

Jenn and Jason said...

Oh wow! Beautiful Jenna - I especially love the Mother's Day cupcakes. Hmm ... do see a future business here?

Kent and Jenna said...

Who knows?! I'm sure it will continue to just be a hobby, but I really enjoy it. I love to make people happy with food! But like I told you, I can definitely see an "Ooh Lah Lah" type bakery thriving in N.B.! But, of course, only if you were back here to help me run it. ;) Great, now I'm craving an "Ooh Lah Lah" cupcake! So how are you doing? The twins look like they are thriving! I love all of the latest pics that you've posted, especially the ones where they are cuddling ... too precious! Can't wait to meet them!

Jessica said...

I LOVE your cup cakes...they are way too cute!!! I have had my eye on several cup cake books I just haven't picked them up yet!

Kent and Jenna said...

Thanks! I would highly recommend "A Baker's Field Guide to Cupcakes" when just starting out, and "Hello, Cupcake!" for more advanced, but super cool designs. You can find both used on Amazon for pretty cheap. I did some cute bunnies at Easter, but forgot to take pics.

BeickerFamily said...

The cupcakes look great. Glad to see that you are back to the blogging world.... which reminds me I really need to update my own : )

Kent and Jenna said...

You have been doing much better than me on your blog, my dear! See ya at the meeting tomorrow ... so excited to hear all the "after details" of Denim & Diamonds! You did an AMAZING job!