Thursday, March 11, 2010

Yummy Recipes - Bean and Bacon Soup

I made my husband's favorite soup last night before we went to see The Flaming Idiots for my birthday. I found this recipe on (surprise!) my favorite recipe blog, For the Love of Cooking.

Bean and Bacon Soup

4 strips of lean bacon (I used turkey bacon)
3 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 bay leaf
3 15 1/2-ounce cans white beans, drained
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

In a large Dutch oven, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let cool, chop, and set aside.

Over medium heat, add the carrot, celery and onion to the pan drippings in the Dutch oven and sauté for 7 minutes; add the garlic and sauté for an additional 60 seconds, stirring constantly. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.

Add 2 cans of beans, bay leaf and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the carrots and celery are soft.
Uncover and remove the bay leaf. Using a potato masher or an immersion blender, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly. Stir in the last can of beans, parsley and bacon. Taste and re-season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, if needed. Enjoy.

2 comments:

3 dogs and a baby said...

I am going to try this recipe this weekend! I absolutely love bean with bacon soup, although I have to admit that my favorite is the Campbell's condensed version (classy!). I thought I was the only one who liked this kind of soup, glad to know there are others!

Pam said...

I am so glad you like the soup and I'm also glad you like my blog. Thanks for the shout out and link back to my site.